Friday, August 9, 2024

Odds & Ends: August 9, 2024



Lawerence Of Arabia Recently, I watched the classic 1962 movie Lawerence of Arabia while doing Zone 2 cardio. I had it on my list of movies to watch for some time because my father-in law's favourite movie is Lawerence of Arabia. It didn't disappoint! The film chronicles T.E. Lawrence, a British officer (played by Peter O'Toole) who leads and unites Arab tribes in World War I to revolt against the Ottoman empire. The film is a masterful exploration of the nature of power and ambition as well as idealism. It also explores the geopolitics that shaped the British Empire. Amazing acting and incredible cinematography. Highly recommended.

Jack White's "No Name". Jack White's new album was released a few months ago and I have been listening to it a lot during my weightlifting workouts. This is an old-fashioned, rock album with electrifying guitars riffs. The songs are a mix of rock and blues. Three of my favorite songs on the album are "That's how I'm feeling," "Old Scratch Blues,"and "Bless Myself".

Abercombie & Fitch Woods. Gus, my son, asked me the other day what was my favorite cologne in high school. Answer: Abercrombie & Fitch Woods. It's funny, because I hate A&F clothes (too preppy!) Instead, I wore vintage golf shirts from the 1970s or bowling shirts that I had found at thrift stores. A&F was the only fragrance I wore. Gus' question made me curious to see if they still make Woods. And lo and behold they do! I bought it and have worn it for the last few weeks. It reminds Kate and me of our first date. The cologne is a hit with Millennial women, whether it's because of its citrusy/woodsy scent or the nostalgia factor.

Why I Hate Instagram Today We've had Instagram since 2010 and it's interesting to see the changes that have occurred in the last 14 years. Conor Friedersdorf articulates the lamentable shift Instagram has undergone from a fun, organic platform that allowed you to share life's goings-ons with friends and family to a platform that's dedicated to entertaining you with algorithmically-driven, revenue-generating content created by influencers and brands. I've noticed I use IG less as the content in my feed is mostly reels. Ads and accounts that I don't subscribe to. Bring back personal blogs to share life's ephemera and musings with family and friends!

Quote of the week

Decide! Decide!--Goethe

Support independent publishing. Donate to The Art of Manliness! Thank you for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment