Friday, September 13, 2024

Odds & Ends: September 13, 2024



Nose Breathing Science and Snake Oil Michael Easter, AoM's podcast guest, takes a look at the nose-breathing craze which has taken over the online fitness industry. I admit that I bought into nose breathing shortly after my podcast with James Nestor. Even at one point, I taped the mouth shut. Michael's article offers a nuanced view of nose breathing. It turns out that there is some truth in the hype but it's still not the miracle cure that some gurus claim. This article explains when you should breathe through your nose, such as during an easy cardio workout. It also explains when it's better to use your mouth (for intense workouts). This article is a quick read and will save you time by not wasting it on breathing fads.

Wisconsin Death Trip. In this month's issue of The County Highway, I came across an article about Wisconsin supper clubs. It reminded me of the book Wisconsin Death Trip by Michael Lesy I read in college and which still haunts my mind today. The book is a collection that includes newspaper clippings and photographs from the late 19th century. It details bizarre crimes, deaths, and insanity. The juxtaposition between eerie photographs and stark reports creates an unsettling, fascinating portrait of small-town life in the past. It is far from the idyllic image we have of it. It was tough out there on frontier!

Sense Energy Monitor. In May, I installed a Sense Energy Monitor in my home. It uses AI to calculate how much power your devices use. The monitor's information helped me save money on my summer electricity bill. As an example, when I discovered that our pool pump used a lot of power, I set it up on a schedule to ensure it didn't run all the time. I discovered some hidden loads that I was unaware of. The AI doesn't do a great job of identifying the appliances in your house. It hasn't yet picked up our AC unit, and mislabeled the oven as a drying device. If you want to know how much electricity your family is using, this would be a good investment.

Citizen Kane. Our family watched Citizen Kane last week, which many film buffs consider to be the best movie ever made. It's as good as the hype! It's still a classic 80+ years after its release. In 1941, the camera angles, nonlinear storytelling and lighting were revolutionary. They are still interesting and compelling to this day. Orson Welles portrayal of media mogul Charles Foster Kane’s rise and decline is captivating. I enjoyed talking with the kids about the fact that Wells based his story on William Randolph Heart, and other tycoons. Gus, 13, really liked the movie; Scout, 11, was not as interested. But both were determined to find out what the word "Rosebud", meant. Rosebud!

Quote of the week

Each man has a peculiar thought train that he uses when he's alone. It is this that shapes the person to a large extent.

--Dugald Steward

Support independent publishing. Donate to The Art of Manliness! Thank you for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment