Thursday, September 12, 2024

Online Dating: Why Men Are Ditching the App for Pineapple Instead

The original article can be found here: Online Dating: Men are ditching the app for Pineapple instead

In a Spanish supermarket I held an upside-down, twisted pineapple as if it were my passport to romance. You'd think that as someone who loves the finer things of life, such as designer handbags, bespoke jewellery, and the perfect pair heels, I would never be caught dead shopping in a supermarket for anything but caviar or Champagne. Here I was not looking for vintage wine or organic produce, but something more elusive, love.

See, darling? Dating apps are so passé. Swiping from left to right, in a blurry of uninspired faces and trying to impress each other with recycled pickup lines, is not for me.

Men have also begun to feel the monotony. They are ditching apps in favor of a richer, more flavorful experience.

Pineapple Power

I'll start off by saying that pineapples are in a good mood. It's not just for your cocktail or the Dolce and Gabbana runway. Pineapples are also a secret signal to online-offline daters. In Spain, everything is more sexy, and the supermarket has been transformed into a new singles bar. Yes, darling, you heard me correctly--supermarkets. Now, the aisles of Lidl and Mercadona as well as Carrefour, are the hunt grounds for romance. And the pineapple? Your flag of availability.

Apparently, this phenomenon began when Spanish TV personality Vivy Li discovered what is now known as "la hora de ligar", or the hour of flirting in a supermarket. She shared it on TikTok and voila, a new trend had been born. Can you blame young Spaniards for thinking the produce aisle was more romantic than Tinder? Isn't it intimate to bump into someone while shopping for fresh fruit?

When I heard about this, it was only natural that I would want to fly to Spain to experience the pineapple-fueled flirtation for myself. I love grand gestures and extravagant experiences. Flying to Spain for a flirtation with pineapples sounded perfect for me.



Supermarket Chic

Imagine me, who is usually a model in the most prestigious boutiques, walking into Lidl one Sunday afternoon with a list of items to buy, all designed to attract men. Darling, I had a mission. With a pineapple in my hand, I was prepared to charm someone into my Dolce Vita.

Naturally, I conducted my own research. The Spaniards seem to have a code that they use for their love affairs in the supermarket. Not only pineapples, but everyday items are also used as signals. Let me enlighten you. Olive oil? You're looking for a rich man. Lentils? Relationship material for long-term relationships And cucumbers? Cucumbers, my darling, are a sign that you want something spicy.

I made my way into the wine section with my carefully selected basket, which included pineapple, olive oil and some cucumbers. This was the moment when I had to put my knowledge to the test. For me, shopping for wine is a very sensual experience. It's a powerful feeling to swirl a dark red wine in your glass. You feel mysterious, powerful and even dangerous. You can make it even more exciting by adding the romance element.

Flirting among the Fruit

As I stood there casually glancing at the wine selection and every man that walked by, I couldn't but feel the delicious tension. Do you ever have that moment where you aren't sure if someone is looking for you or you are looking for them? This is the vibe.

Everyone was a bit slower and lingered a little more by the baguettes and avocados.

The pineapples in the baskets were placed strategically, almost as trophies. We all seemed to know the game and, darling, I wanted to win.

A man walking with a basket of eggs suddenly passed me. Eggs? What does that mean? Was he searching for stability, something familiar? I imagined what he would cook for breakfast. Would he cook me poached egg on sourdough bread with smashed avo? Was he more of an egg and bacon guy? There were so many possibilities, and I admit that I was fascinated.

Then I

No comments:

Post a Comment