Friday, August 16, 2024

Odds & Ends: August 16, 2024



Seiko SRPG33 Field Watch. Four years ago I was a big fan of the Apple Watch. Recently, I have decided to return to the old-fashioned analog watches. Why? Smartwatches, to my mind, don't look good. They're also distracting. I strongly advocate putting your phone away during meals and conversation. Research shows that the mere presence of a mobile phone at the table can cause people to have shallower conversations because they are aware of the possibility of being interrupted. The same effect was also felt when I checked the notifications on my watch. Although I knew how to turn them off, I wondered if just the presence of a checkable device on my arm was stealing some of my mental bandwidth. In the end, I decided to put my Apple Watch aside and pull out my old watches that were stored in my treasure chest. Seiko also sent me a brand new field watch. Seiko has a nice field watch at an affordable price. I love them. I've enjoyed not having my Apple Watch buzz on my wrist and wearing a stylish accessory.

It has been said that there are two types of people: those who love the mountains and those who prefer the beach. I am definitely a person who loves the mountains. I have always been attracted to the rocky peaks of earth -- whether it's gazing, hiking, or camping in their vicinity. As you drive west, I love to watch the Rocky Mountains rise as they get closer. Henry Wismayer explains the appeal of high mountains in an article for Noema. This longform article was one of the most engaging things I have read in a while. The following line resonated the most with me: "Sentinels, they are seen as embodying a reassuring indifference, aloof from the human ants who play in their shadow."

In a world of conspiracy theories and political bickering, you can lose yourself in The Adjustment Bureau. This 2011 film stars Matt Damon as a Congressman who is determined to be with Emily Blunt, the love of his apparent life. However, a mysterious group of operatives are determined to keep them apart. This film combines a romantic story with a thriller setting and an unusually thought-provoking plot. It raises questions regarding fate, agency and free will. There are a lot of trilby-style hats.

Exercise and eating well can be just as effective as therapy in treating depression. Exercise is just as effective, if no more so, than therapy or antidepressants for treating depression and anxiety. A recent study confirmed this. Half of the participants in the study participated in sessions where they were given guidance on nutrition and exercise, while the remaining half took part in cognitive behavioral therapy sessions, which is often regarded as the gold standard for treating depression. Both groups experienced a similar and significant reduction in depression symptoms. Diet/exercise could be used in conjunction with other treatment options to treat depression holistically. These studies show the link between mental and physical well-being and could prove the validity of the metabolic pathways theory of depression. Since I've struggled with depression, my motto is: If you suffer from depression but don't exercise regularly, you've only just begun the fight.

Quote of the week

The calling of great men is not to spread new truths but rather to be great men.

No comments:

Post a Comment